East Central College (ECC) offers English Language Acquisition (ELA) classes, formerly known as English as a Second Language, at the Missouri Career Center in Washington. Scenic Regional Library has partnered with East Central College by providing the instructional and testing materials for the program.
The goal of the program is to provide students, for whom English is not their primary language, with a working knowledge of English in preparation for citizenship tests, the workplace, additional education, and daily living. The instruction is conducted in small groups to allow students to receive individual attention from their instructor and tutors. Students also participate in cultural and social activities in the community.
The free classes meet Tuesdays through Thursdays from 12:30 to 3:30 p.m. The first session of classes, which began August 11, will be 10 weeks. The next session will begin on October 2. The instructor is Barbara Harrell; she has been an English instructor for ECC.
Adult Education Classes
People wanting to prepare to take the high school equivalency (formerly GED) exam can take advantage of free adult education and literacy classes offered in nine area communities.
The free classes allow people to start at their own level and work at their own pace. Students who already have their high school diploma can attend to improve their reading, writing, language, and math skills.
Books and materials are provided at no charge at all nine locations. Students must be at least 17 years of age and not enrolled in secondary school to attend adult education and literacy classes.
To register for classes at any of the sites, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 636-584-6533. Day classes are held at five locations and evening classes are held at nine locations (including locations in Crawford and Phelps Counties, which are not listed).
- Gerald – Calvary New Life Tabernacle, 140 West Industrial Drive – Tuesday and Wednesday from 9 a.m. to noon
- Sullivan – ECC Sullivan Site, 11 North Clark Street – Tuesday and Thursday from 9 a.m. to noon
- Union – ECC Training Center, Prairie Dell Road at U.S. Highway 50 – Tuesday through Thursday from 9 a.m. to noon and 1 to 4 p.m.
- Washington – Missouri Career Center (Behind Big Lots), 1108 Washington Square – Tuesday through Thursday from 9 a.m. to noon
- Gerald – Calvary New Life Tabernacle, 140 West Industrial Drive – Tuesday and Thursday from 5 to 8 p.m.
- Pacific – Tri-County Community Senior Center, 800 West Union – Tuesday and Thursday from 5 to 8 p.m.
- Union – ECC Training Center, Prairie Dell Road at U.S. Highway 50 – Tuesday and Wednesday from 5 to 8 p.m.
- St. Clair – First Baptist Church, 450 East Springfield Road – Tuesday and Thursday from 5 to 8 p.m.
- Washington – Missouri Career Center, 1108 Washington Square – Tuesday and Thursday from 5 to 8 p.m.
- Owensville – First Baptist Church, 112 W Lincoln – Tuesday and Thursday from 5 to 8 p.m.