- How do I get a library card?
- Do I need a library card to use the Bookmobile?
- Do I need to provide any identification when I register for a library card?
- How do I get a card for a child under the age of 16?
- If I live outside of the Scenic Regional Library service area may I also qualify to use the Library System free of charge?
- If I don’t qualify for obtaining a library card free of charge, may I still register for a card?
- What happens if a library card is lost, misplaced or stolen?
- Do I have to present my card in order to check out items?
- What types of items does the library loan?
- How long may I keep the items I borrow?
- May I renew the items I have checked out?
- Does the library charge fines?
How do I get a library card?
Please bring valid identification when you come to register for a library card. Library cards are issued free of charge to those living within the Scenic Regional Library district.
You may register for a library card at any branch of Scenic Regional Library listed below:
Franklin County – New Haven, Pacific, St. Clair, Sullivan, and Union
Gasconade County – Hermann and Owensville
Warren County – Warrenton and Wright City
In addition, you may register for a library card at Washington Public Library. Washington Public Library cards are valid at all Scenic Regional Library branches, and Scenic Regional Library cards are valid at the Washington Public Library.
Locations and hours for branches are provided under Library Branches on this web site.
Library cards are issued free of charge to residents of Franklin, Gasconade, and Warren Counties. This includes residents of the Washington Municipal Library District, through a Co-operative agreement.
The Scenic Regional Library card may be used at any of the branches in the library system, and at Washington Public Library.
Do I need a library card to use the Bookmobile?
All Bookmobile patrons are considered to be patrons of Scenic Regional Library and are therefore required to have a library card. Library cards are free to residents of Franklin, Gasconade, and Warren Counties, the Washington Municipal Library District, and residents of those Library Districts with whom we have a Reciprocal Lending Agreement.
Patrons can sign up for a library card on the Bookmobile. Please bring a photo ID and proof of current address as explained below.
At the Bookmobile Clerk’s discretion, “group” cards may be issued so that, for example, a classroom teacher may keep all books checked out to his or her students on one classroom card.
Do I need to provide any identification when I register for a library card?
Yes. You will need to provide identification in the form of a photo ID (Missouri Driver’s license showing current address, other photo ID provided by the State of Missouri with current address, or company photo ID badge with other proof of current address). If the photo ID does not include your current address, you will need to furnish proof of current address such as a bank-printed check with current address or a piece of mail that has been mailed to you at your current address. Please click here for examples of valid identification
If you do not have any proof of your current address, a letter verifying your address will be mailed to you. When you return this letter to the library along with your photo ID, a library card will be issued and you may check out materials.
How do I get a card for a child under the age of 16?
A parent or legal guardian must accompany a child under the age of 16 and fill out the registration form, which includes a statement that the parent or guardian will be responsible for the materials checked out by the child. The parent or guardian must provide the same identification as listed above.
If I live outside of the Scenic Regional Library service area may I also qualify to use the Library system free of charge?
Yes. Others eligible to receive a library card free of charge include:
Persons who pay property tax to any of the Scenic Regional Library counties, but live outside of the library’s service area. A copy of the most recent paid tax bill must be presented.
Washington Municipal Library District residents through a Co-operative agreement.
Residents of the following library systems that have Reciprocal Borrowing Agreements with Scenic Regional Library:
- Jefferson County Library (Eligible only to residents of the two sub-districts in Jefferson County that passed a library tax which are the Fox Windsor and Northwest School Districts)
- Heartland Regional Library System – Maries and Miller Counties
- Missouri River Regional Library – Cole and Osage Counties
- Ozark Regional Library – Iron and Madison Counties
- Crawford County Library – Crawford County
- Washington County Public Library
If I don’t qualify for obtaining a library card free of charge, may I still register for a card?
Individuals may pay an annual non-resident fee of $50.00 to use the library. For more information on non-resident fees, please contact the nearest Scenic Regional Library branch. Those paying a non-resident fee have the same privileges as residents.
What happens if a library card is lost, misplaced or stolen?
There is a $1.00 charge to replace a lost, misplaced or stolen library card.
Do I have to present my card in order to check out items?
Individuals should always bring their card to the library to check out items or to access the Internet. This is for the individual’s protection.
What types of items does the library loan?
- Popular fiction and non-fiction
- Children’s books
- Large Print books (Adult)
- Recorded books on CDs for adults and children
- DVDs for adults and children
- Music CDs for adults and children
- Magazines for adults and children
How long may I keep the items I borrow?
The library has the following loan periods for materials
- Books – 2 weeks
- Audio Book CDs and Music CDs – 2 weeks
- DVDs and Magazines – 2 weeks
- Circulating Encyclopedias – 3 days
May I renew items that I have checked out?
Items may be renewed as long as no one else has requested that item. You may renew items by calling your branch library. Items may also be renewed through the on-line Library Catalog by going to “Your Account.” Items renewed through the on-line catalog will be due from the date they are renewed, not from the original date due.
Does the library charge fines?
Scenic Regional Library no longer charges overdue fines. However, for any items that are long-term overdue, the full value of the item may be assessed to your account until the item is returned.