How do I get a library card?

Please bring proof of identity and residence when you come to register for a library card.  Library cards are issued free of charge to those living within the Scenic Regional Library district.

You may register for a library card at any branch of Scenic Regional Library listed below:
Franklin County – New Haven, Pacific, St. Clair, Sullivan, and Union
Gasconade County – Hermann and Owensville
Warren County – Warrenton and Wright City

In addition, you may register for a library card at Washington Public Library. Washington Public Library cards are valid at all Scenic Regional Library branches, and Scenic Regional Library cards are valid at the Washington Public Library.

Locations and hours for branches are provided under Locations and Hours on this web site.

Library cards are issued free of charge to residents of Franklin, Gasconade, and Warren Counties. This includes residents of the Washington Municipal Library District, through a Co-operative agreement.

The Scenic Regional Library card may be used at any of the branches in the library system, and at Washington Public Library.

How do I register for an ecard?

Register for a library eCard online. eCards can be used to access eBooks, eAudiobooks, and other digital resources without visiting the library. To upgrade the account so that it can be used to check out physical materials from a library branch, bring photo ID and proof of residence to the branch. You must be 18 years of age or older to receive an eCard.

Do I need to provide any identification when I register for a library card?

Yes. You will need to provide identification in the form of a photo ID issued by a government agency, school, or employer. If the photo ID does not include your current address, you will need to furnish proof of current address such as a bank-printed check with current address or a piece of mail that has been mailed to you at your current address. Please click here for examples of valid identification.

If you do not have any proof of your current address, a letter verifying your address will be mailed to you. When you return this letter to the library along with your photo ID, a library card will be issued and you may check out materials.

How do I get a card for a minor under the age of 18?

A parent or legal guardian must accompany a minor under the age of 18 and complete the registration process, which includes a statement that the parent or guardian, not library staff, is responsible for decisions about the materials the minor accesses and is financially responsible for the materials checked out by the minor. The parent or guardian must provide the same identification as listed above.

If I live outside of the Scenic Regional Library service area may I also qualify to use the Library system free of charge?

Yes. Others eligible to receive a library card free of charge include:

Persons who pay property tax to any of the Scenic Regional Library counties, but live outside of the library’s service area. A copy of the most recent paid tax bill must be presented.

Washington Municipal Library District residents through a Co-operative agreement.

Non-resident students enrolled at East Central College

Residents of the following library systems that have Reciprocal Borrowing Agreements with Scenic Regional Library:

  • Crawford County Library – Crawford County
  • Heartland Regional Library System – Maries and Miller Counties
  • Missouri River Regional Library – Cole and Osage Counties
  • Ozark Regional Library – Iron and Madison Counties
  • St. Charles City-County Library – St. Charles County
  • St. Louis County Library – St. Louis County
  • Washington County Public Library – Washington County
  • Washington Public Library – City of Washington, Franklin County
  • Municipal Library Consortium – Valley Park, Ferguson, Brentwood, Maplewood, Webster Groves, University City, Kirkwood, Richmond Heights, Rock Hill

If I don’t qualify for obtaining a library card free of charge, may I still register for a card?

Individuals may pay an annual non-resident fee of $50.00 to use the library. For more information on non-resident fees, please contact the nearest Scenic Regional Library branch. Those paying a non-resident fee have the same privileges as residents.

What happens if a library card is lost, misplaced or stolen?

There is a $1.00 charge to replace a lost, misplaced, or stolen library card.

Do I have to present my card in order to check out items?

Individuals should always bring their card to the library to check out items or to access the Internet. This is for the individual’s protection.

What types of items does the library loan?

  • Popular fiction and non-fiction
  • Children’s books
  • Large Print books (Adult)
  • Recorded books on CDs for adults, teens, and children
  • DVDs for adults and children
  • Music CDs for adults and children
  • Magazines for adults and children
  • Telescopes, microscopes, and binoculars
  • Cake pans
  • Fishing rods
  • Wi-Fi hotspots
  • Memory kits
  • STEAM kits
  • Ukuleles
  • Blood pressure cuffs

How long may I keep the items I borrow? May I renew items that I have checked out?

  Type   Loan Period   Renewals
  Books   2 weeks   2
  Audiobooks   2 weeks   2
  Music CDs   2 weeks   2
  DVDs   2 weeks   1
  Cake pans   2 weeks   1
  Memory kits   2 weeks   1
  STEAM kits   2 weeks   1
  Ukuleles   2 weeks   1
  Fishing rods   7 days   0
  Telescopes   2 weeks   0
  Binoculars   2 weeks   0
  Microscopes   2 weeks   0
  Blood Pressure cuff   28 days   0
  Wi-Fi hotspots   3 months   0

Items may be renewed as long as no one else has requested that item. You may renew items by calling your branch library. Items may also be renewed through the on-line Library Catalog by going to “My Account” and through the Missouri Evergreen mobile app. Renewed items will be due from the date they are renewed, not from the original date due.

Does the library charge fines?

Scenic Regional Library does not charge overdue fines. However, for any items that are long-term overdue, the full value of the item may be assessed to your account until the item is returned.

Back to Top